With increasing awareness of children’s health and exercise issues in the media Kid’s Fitness Trainers are increasingly sought after to work with children and support:-
- Improving their fitness
- Becoming more active
- Tackling childhood obesity
- Developing their leisure pursuits
There are many exciting opportunities for newly qualified Kids Fitness Instructors to progress into and build their career and earnings. Typically these include working in gym based environments, Government and community projects, after-school clubs and sports specific clubs.
Sounds good – But what does a Kids Fitness Trainer actually do?
Kids Fitness Instructors supervise and run exercise based sessions for children.
The activities are wide-ranging with something to suit everyone. Sessions typically run in age specific groups from pre-school age, primary and seniors up to 16 years.
It would be your role to motivate kids from different backgrounds with varying needs. It helps if you are able to demonstrate empathy, make exercise fun and are someone kids naturally respond and look up to.
Many of our students choose to become a Kids Fitness Instructor as a next step in their fitness career. This may be on a part-time or full-time basis or a specialist area of interest they have chosen to progress into.
For those keen to go it alone opportunities exist once qualified to set up your own kids exercise clubs and activities or go down the franchise route.
A typical Kid’s Instructor session involves:-
- Planning exciting, fun and rewarding age specific exercise sessions.
- Demonstrating exercises to ensure they adopt correct, safe technique.
- Being health and safety conscious at all times.
- Welcoming new joiners and building relationships across the group to maximise confidence and achievement.
- Promoting and marketing your kid’s specific activity. For example, within the leisure centre environment or your local area and schools.
We hope this blog has given you a taster of what it’s like to work as a Kid’s Fitness Instructor. If you’d like to find out more about obtaining your qualification we’re always on hand to help.
Peter Lemon, Founder Academy of Fitness Professionals